There is an old adage “everyone has a book in them”. If this is true, are you one of the ones who have done something about it or have you felt constrained by unfounded myths and publishing industry perceptions?
It’s true, publishers in Australia pick up only one in 4000 unsolicited manuscripts each year. You needn’t be part of the 3999 stat that doesn’t make the grade!
Why write a book?
- As a way to increase your credibility in your field of expertise
- To celebrate an anniversary, special event; milestone or company heritage
- As a compilation of material from a group of like minded people, an award or television show
- As a marketing incentive; premium with purchase or corporate gift
- To involve your stakeholders and invoke customer loyalty
Traditional versus non traditional
Traditional publishers certainly serve a purpose but if like us you want to push the parameters; maintain control over the look and feel; move distribution beyond bookshops; create an additional revenue stream; not be reliant on someone else for its success and want an innovative product to compliment your marketing and brand strategies and you want to make a mark on the world, then I suggest you consider the alternative.
What’s the alternative?
Non traditional custom publishing will enable you complete control over every aspect of your book as well as ensuring the greatest impact and reach possible. Your book will be a true reflection of you as a person or company and your vision and values.
Managing the entire production is a time consuming specialist task that requires management of several financial and creative processes. Considerations include:-
- What are the objectives and purpose of writing the book?
- What messages do you want to communicate?
- What is your budget and timeline for producing the book?
- How will it fit with or extend your current branding?
- How will you research and develop the concept and content?
Factors in the Production of Your Book
- Writing, editing and proofing
- Photographic and image sourcing
- Graphic design and page layout
- Printing and packaging
- Customisation for different markets
Marketing Your Book
- How will you distribute your book; traditional (bookshops) and non-traditional
- How will you manage sales, marketing and PR of your book
- Is there any funding, sponsorships and strategic partners you could access to assist with the book?
With a little determination, marketing acumen and ability to think laterally, producing a book is a great addition to your marketing mix. A publishing model based on funding and distribution partners enables corporations and individuals to produce books that can become a credible, lasting extension of your brand, and as well as an additional source of revenue.