“Be sure to love your core business, because that’s what will get you up and moving when things get tough (and they will!).”
With over 25 years in the corporate world, Stephanie Barros of Igniting Your SPARK is well aware of the many challenges women face in balancing their careers and life. So after retiring from her executive role, Stephanie founded her own business to help address this need.
Using her proven 12-session High Performance Coaching program, Stephanie works closely with corporate women in male-dominated industries to increase their engagement, confidence, and joy in both work and life. She has also applied her passion and expertise to similar roles, such as becoming a speaker, international best-selling author, volunteer mentor for Females in Information Technology and Telecommunications, as well as the co-founder of the Women Leading into the Future movement.
Considering her background in personal and professional development, it follows that Stephanie is dedicated to learning for herself. Joining the HerBusiness Network has allowed her to find accountability within a supportive, encouraging community. And as her business continues to grow, Stephanie hopes to reach a consistent flow of ideal clients buying services so she can focus on delivering.
But for now, Stephanie will continue to help women have the career and life they truly want. And during her free time, she’ll enjoy spending time with her husband and kids, eating great food, and connecting with extended family and friends.
Who’s your favourite entrepreneur and why?
Blair Singer because he was the first to introduce me to entrepreneurship (in 2013). I used to think it was a “dirty” word being so indoctrinated in the corporate world. Almost 10 years later I now equate entrepreneurship with freedom!
Why did you start your business and what gave you the idea?
I both experienced and observed the lack of support provided to female professionals, particularly in male-dominated industries. So when I retired I made it my mission to enable women to succeed in their own unique way where they can fully engage at work and home and remain happy and confident without the risk of burnout.
What do you enjoy most about running your own business?
My time is my own. Doing what I love and being remunerated for it. The freedom it provides to live the life I want in the way I want.
What three pieces of advice do you wish you’d been given when you started?
- It’s your business, not a corporation; the reminder to “Do what you love, every day.”
- How do you eat an elephant, one bite at a time
- Everyone will try to sell you the “best” way; find the way that’s right for you i.e. fits you
What advice would YOU give someone thinking about starting a business?
- Be open to learning LOTS all the time, cause it’s going to happen no matter what.
- Be sure to love your core business, because that’s what will get you up and moving when things get tough (and they will!)
- Don’t go it alone, get support to keep your sanity (like a network of women :)
What skills and knowledge areas would you recommend those starting out in business get acquainted with quickly?
- Sales – everyone must sell, including you!
- Marketing – get comfortable being vulnerable in the spotlight.
- Financials – Know your numbers intimately – what you need to survive, stay alive and thrive.
What does your IDEAL business look like? Even if you’re not there yet, what would it look like if your business was ideal?
Consistent flow of ideal clients buying services so I can focus on delivering what I want when I want.
What problem does being a Member of the HerBusiness Network solve for you and your business? And, how?
- Referrals for services rather than randomly finding people on Upworks
- Connection, camaraderie, community so I don’t feel “alone”
- Accountability through Goals Groups and the Monthly RoundTable and Roundup i.e. monthly focus topic.
- Learn more about Stephanie and Igniting Your SPARK.