It’s easy to get caught up in the daily grind, isn’t it?
The constant hustle and bustle of operations can sometimes cloud our vision of the bigger picture.
We can end up ‘in the weeds’ even when our intention is to stay ‘big picture’.
Today, I want to share some valuable strategies that help me focus on my overarching vision while managing the day-to-day tasks.
- Delegate, delegate, delegate: As business owners, we often need our hands in every aspect of our operations. However, to keep your eye on the big picture, you must learn to trust your team with operational tasks. Delegate responsibilities to capable individuals who can handle the day-to-day operations effectively. Stop being the ‘chief everything officer’. This frees up your time and mental space to concentrate on strategic matters.
- Set Aside Regular Strategic Time: It’s crucial to dedicate time regularly to review and strategise. Block out periods in your schedule exclusively for this purpose. I like to call these my ‘clear weeks’ – one week a month where I don’t do any ‘outward facing tasks’. I use these weeks to work ON the business – planning marketing campaigns and doing deep work that requires focus and concentration. Use your ‘strategic time’ to assess your progress, identify opportunities, and plan for the future. By making strategic thinking a routine part of your work, you ensure you’re continually working towards your long-term goals. Listen to my Clear Week podcast episode to get my system for setting up your own clear ‘strategic time’ weeks.
- Use Dashboards or Reports: Visual aids can be powerful tools to keep track of your overall business health. Implement dashboards that provide a snapshot of key performance indicators and metrics relevant to your growth objectives. These dashboards or reports will serve as a constant reminder of where your business stands in relation to your larger vision. At HerBusiness, we check out top metrics weekly at our Team Meeting. This keeps me and the team ahead of how different promotions are tracking and allows us to make corrections and drive growth.
- Stay Connected: Regular check-ins with your team are essential to align your collective vision. Open lines of communication ensure everyone is on the same page and working towards the same goals. Collaboration and shared understanding are key to maintaining focus on the big picture. We meet every week on a Wednesday morning at 9.00 am Sydney time. We’ve done this for 28 years, and it’s a compulsory meeting for everyone on the team. Everyone. It’s the one time of the week when we can check in and have group discussions as well as get connected personally.
- Be Clear On Your Vision: Take the time to revisit and reinforce your long-term vision. Your vision should be SO big and compelling that it it drives your actions and projects. Your day-to-day operations align with these long-term goals. If something doesn’t contribute to your vision’s realisation, consider whether it’s a task that can be delegated or dropped and if it’s worth your team’s or your personal attention.
Remember, it’s crucial to streamline your operations – that’s where stuff happens.
But don’t let yourself drown in the details.
Keep your eyes firmly fixed on the horizon. Your role as a business owner is to steer the ship, not be entangled in the weeds.
By implementing these strategies, you’ll find it easier to strike a balance between managing the daily tasks and focusing on the bigger picture.
Your journey from a six-figure business to a seven-figure one is within reach, and with the right approach, you’ll continue to move closer to that incredible milestone.
But only if you delegate, strategise, visualise, communicate, and align – and watch your business GROW.
Here’s to doing what you love, and HAPPY NEW YEAR.
PS As we wrap up this year, I want to say thank you for your attention and for being part of our wider community. I look forward to supporting you and your business in the new year.