Are you a woman business owner struggling with fear when it comes to making sales?
You’re not alone.
Fear can be a major barrier to success for many women entrepreneurs, but it doesn’t have to hold you back.
Here are five ways that fear can stop women business owners from making sales and how to overcome them.
- Fear of rejection. It’s natural to feel nervous about the possibility of being rejected when you’re asking for a sale. But it’s important to remember that rejection is just a part of the sales process and doesn’t define you as a person.When you hear that ‘no’ to your offer or the opportunity that you are making available, know that the “NO” is to the offer — not to you, personally. Instead of focusing on the fear of rejection, try to focus on the value you can bring to the customer and how your product or service can solve their problems.
- Fear of failure. The fear of failure can be especially tough for women business owners, who may feel like they have to prove themselves. Those that are also in a male-dominated industry, get a double whammy! Build your skills and hone your expertise and authority. Understand the customer’s needs and how your product or service can meet them, and be knowledgeable about any objections the customer might have.And, remember that failure is just a part of the learning process. By focusing on continuous learning and improvement, you can build your confidence and become more successful when it comes to making sales.
- Fear of not being good enough. Many women business owners struggle with imposter syndrome, feeling like they don’t have the skills or expertise to succeed in their industry. Usually, they know MORE than enough but are doubting themselves. To overcome this fear, focus on your strengths and the value you bring to your customers. Seek supportive mentors or join a network of like-minded business owners who can provide encouragement and guidance.
- Fear of the unknown. It can be intimidating and create a sense of fear if you’re making an offer for the first time, or to a brand new audience, or in a way that is foreign to you. To overcome this fear, research and ask the right questions to understand the customer’s needs and challenges. And make sure you have a clear understanding of the sales process and how you’ll move people logically towards buying from you and what the natural next steps for that prospect are, so you can navigate your conversations smoothly and confidently.
- Fear of being pushy, “too much” braggy or aggressive. As a woman business owner, you may worry about being too pushy or aggressive when trying to make a sale. You may also worry that you may come across as ‘over the top’, ‘too much’, or that you’re bragging. To overcome this fear, focus on building a relationship with your customers and being consultative in your approach. Show them how your product or service can solve their problems, and let them make the decision on their own terms.
“Focus on building a relationship with your customers and being consultative in your approach. Show them how your product or service can solve their problems, and let them make the decision on their own terms.”
By recognising and addressing these fears, you can become more confident and successful in your sales efforts as a woman business owner.
Remember, fear is a natural and normal emotion, but with the right mindset and approach, people around you and support, you can overcome it and make the sales you deserve.
Want to hear more?
- Listen to this podcast episode titled: Surprising Ways Fear is Stopping You from Making Sales as a Woman Business Owner – And How to Overcome It!
- Request an invitation to join the HerBusiness Network.