Your business card is probably one of the cheapest forms of marketing collateral you buy. With the right design and thoughtful, creative content, your business card can be a brilliantly effective tool to generate leads, drive visits to your website or social media, and boost sales. What a wasted marketing opportunity if your card isn’t designed to be noticed, reinforce your brand and encourage more contact and buyer action!
Have a look at your current business card. Are you guilty of any of the following?
- The details on your card are so small, they’re really difficult to read A particular no no if your target audience contains anyone who’s 40+! It’s a communication tool – so don’t put obstacles in the way of a clear message.
- There’s no information about what you do So your business is a mystery. Why on earth wouldn’t you make it very obvious – so the card is kept and motivates more contact?
- The back is blank You’ve wasted valuable marketing real estate. It doesn’t cost much more to print both sides – why not maximise your message?
- The card feels flimsy Perception is a funny thing – and a business card which feels insubstantial translates to poor quality in most minds. It’s not the first impression most of us would like to make – so if you’re not selling a down market product, don’t hand out a down market business card.
- Your card won’t fit into a standard wallet or business card holder Variety is the spice of life, and a design or style that’s out of the ordinary will get attention, which is definitely a plus. But make sure it doesn’t end up in the bin because it’s too hard to store.
- Your card is so full of information that the recipient glazes over A cluttered card defeats the purpose of the exercise. Simple, clear design with relevant information is the way to go – and make sure the key message(s) are the ones that stand out.
- Your business cards are still in the box in your desk drawer As the saying goes, use it or lose it. Your business cards are a really inexpensive sales tool – so give them out like confetti.