Here are some simple steps to disaster free proofreading
We’ve just enjoyed 2 weeks in Vietnam over Christmas/New Year, and had loads of fun finding typos and mangled English on signage, menus and brochures. It’s all part of the experience in a developing country where English is not the first language. Of course your audience will have a very different expectation when they receive communication from you.
Nobody wants to work with a sloppy organisation
When you email, post online or communicate in print, spelling mistakes, poor grammar or formatting can undermine the clarity of your message, and the impression of your brand. Careful proofing is even more critical when you’re buying print, as reprints waste time and don’t come free. Do your proof reading somewhere quiet, and wait a while after you’ve created the content. That way you’re less likely to skim over errors because you’re too familiar with the message.
Print out your proof at full size
This is vital, particularly if you’re going to print, and much more accurate than reading on screen. Then read
- with a ruler underneath each line
- in reverse order i.e. read point 7 before point 6
Double check these key details
- Pagination Is the document size, page count and order correct?
- Spelling and Grammar Don’t rely on the spellchecker – it won’t catch many errors, including errors such as their/there, then/than, were/where – anyone who has predictive text on their phone can use their imagination here
- Punctuation Ensure that this is consistent throughout
- Contact details Check all names, addresses, email and web addresses and telephone numbers. Mistakes here are common and can be very costly
- Images Are all images included correct, crisp and appropriately placed?
- Fonts Are they appropriate and consistent?
Fresh eyes will often spot errors that you’ve skimmed over repeatedly
Once you’re satisfied you’ve checked everything, ask one or more friends or colleagues to go through the same procedure. If you’d like to know more ways to ensure success when you buy print, download our free ebook 11 Ways to Buy Print – Stress Free. Go to exciteprint.com.au/contact/get-you-free-ebook. Or ask me to post you a printed copy! email@example.com