Marketing is all about determining the needs of consumers or customers and matching those needs with products and services a company can deliver for the right perceived value. Branding is the key marketing asset for any company and as such, a brand needs to be carefully crafted and created to embody the customer promise and meet, or ideally exceed, expectations at every engagement with its user. So for those considering a business requiring a strong focus on its Marketing know-how and edge, here are the Top five pieces of ‘career ‘advice I can give you:
- Be prepared to work hard and understand the objectives of a marketing role and the need to hit those for progression and success. Be patient and get the job done. Marketing people and their businesses have to be results driven. You should measure the business’s success against achievement of the businesses goals as well as the marketing strategies (including budget management).
- Try to be mentored and inspired by great leaders and managers from whom you can draw many in-field skills: the interpersonal and the technical skills. After you find yourself a mentor, utilise their advice and guidance as you need it. Know what you need and go after it, in the form of their wisdom.
- Listen, analyse, listen again and harness this learning into your personal skillset. There is a constant need to listen to your consumers, although of course, it doesn’t stop there. There is always valuable insight within an organisation both from more experienced managers and out in the ‘field’ or your external world of other suppliers. (e.g., sales people, plant managers, etc)
- A marketing person has to be like an Octopus. You have to draw upon the expertise of many, cobble it together, ensure it works for your consumer and finesse it accordingly along the way. Being able to juggle many balls and get the best out of a diverse group of individuals requires major co-ordination and relationship capabilities.
- Action-oriented: You must be focused on the achievement of results. Marketing is a fast-paced and contemporary industry, so those who succeed have the ability to act swiftly to meet trends in competitive marketplaces. The best businesses always have top marketing executives who can find solutions at every turn.
Follow this advice and you won’t go far wrong. Good luck with your business development and building your brand’s assets through a solid marketing approach.