Philippa Robert’s passion for painting and desire to preserve memories lead her to starting her own business.
Philippa found that people were very interested in paintings of people so she began painting portraits of friends, family and grandchildren.
Her goal was to create something that could capture memories and emotions. So, she developed the storybook – her collections of art with their background stories.
What Philippa enjoys most about running her business:
Philippa gets to do what she loves everyday.
“Art improves our lives through the connection that it gives us.”
What Philippa wishes she knew when she started:
- Understand what your product is and who you are going to sell it to
For Philippa this was understanding how art is important to people.
- Understand what your product will do to improve the lives of people
Skills Philippa recommends for those starting out in business:
- The knowledge of sales – “If you really want to make a business you have to get your work out, past your door into some else’s house.”
- Computer skills – know how to maintain your website
- Know how to find help when you’re stuck – have a network and know hot to ask for help
A problem that being a HerBusiness Network Member has solved for Philippa:
As an artist it is easy to feel alone and stuck in the studio, but the HerBusiness Network takes away that feeling of being alone; it provides a support group.
“Suzi’s encouragement is fantastic. I get to listen to marvellous people in the courses. It helps my morale.”
Philippa’s favourite entrepreneur is fellow member Frances Pratt. Frances has mentored and coached Philippa, teaching her to apply the information she is learning and use that to generate sales. Philippa is blown away by the way Frances synthesises information to make it practical and applicable to various needs.
This post was authored by Hannah Stanley. Hannah is completing a journalism internship at HerBusiness. She studies journalism and electronic media at the University of Tennessee in the United States.