Next time you pick up some marketing collateral, such as a brochure, flyer or postcard, put on your small business marketer hat (because as business owners, we’re all responsible for making sure our business is successful at marketing.)
Successful marketing should be a bit like a game of chess – a series of moves between you and your buyer.
How often do you read a brochure, marketing postcards or a flyer that looks clever, but doesn’t actually motivate you to do anything? Big brands can spend megabucks on very general brand awareness and positioning, and get some traction and eventual sales benefit. If you’re a small business, that’s probably a luxury you can’t afford. Of course, you can impress with great design, or premium production values, or left of field presentation that screams “Notice Me!”. But it could all be wasted if it doesn’t initiate a conversation, either online, on the phone, or face to face. All of that requires engagement at every point of the sales process.
What could your first move be in the marketing game?
- Ask them to visit your website – where you’ll wow them with an offer they can’t refuse (be generous)
- Give them a reason to call your office
- Invite them to subscribe to your email newsletter – you’ll need some heavy duty incentives here. Make sure you give something away (like a comprehensive e-book or better still, something physical that’s relevant to your business)
- Offer a free ticket to a seminar on a topic of interest to them. Run it yourself, or partner up with a complementary business.
- Bundle two related products into a special offer that has a time limit – and can only be sourced on your website
- Offer a free face to face review session with clearly articulated steps and outcomes
Get inside the head of your customer. To encourage action, you need to offer something that’s valuable for them – which is perceived as VERY generous. First give, and then give again, before you expect to get.
Marketing is a bit like a game of chess – you need them to make a move, otherwise you’re not even playing the game.