You’ve had the great business idea and you’re ready to take the plunge into starting a new small business. But what next?
In the spirit of Startup Month, you’ll find below a range of government resources available to small business.
Resources for Small Business Startups in Australia
BEFORE YOU START
The site business.gov.au offers you simple and convenient access to all the government information, forms and services you need. It’s a whole-of-government service providing essential information on planning, starting and growing your business.
The Australian Business Licence and Information Service assists SME’s meet their compliance obligations and the Australian Business Account will help businesses manage their online transactions.
Each State and Territory has resources for small business. Services range from business plan templates, compliance advice, training and resources, grants and networking opportunities.
- NSW – www.smallbiz.nsw.gov.au
- Victoria – www.business.vic.gov.au
- Queensland – www.business.qld.gov.au
- WA – www.smallbusiness.wa.gov.au
- SA – www.dmitre.sa.gov.au
- Tasmania – www.business.tas.gov.au
- ACT – www.business.act.gov.au
- NT – www.dob.nt.gov.au
- The Government also funds Business Enterprise Centres in your local area, which provide targeted support to local businesses. Find yours here – www.becaustralia.org.au.
- Are you starting a business from home? Then you could try homebizconnect.org.au
- The Grants Finder website will help you discover what assistance your business may be able to access.
And once you are ready to start your business, here are the go-to sites for compliance, employment and regulation.
MANAGING YOUR BUSINESS
If once you are in business and you need some assistance, like dispute resolution, or if you think your business is being treated unfairly, or even if you believe a government policy is hampering your business, you may like to contact a Small Business Commissioner.
- Australian Small Business Commissioner
- WA Small Business Commissioner
- NSW Small Business Commissioner
- Victorian Small Business Commissioner
- South Australian Small Business Commissioner
What other government resources have you heard about that assist start-up businesses?