“For me, marketing is about showing up and experimenting, analysing, refining and showing up again.”
Sonali Pathak’s story started in India twenty years ago when she completed a graphic and web design course. Seven years into corporate life, Sonali realised the 9 to 5 (or literally 24/7) was not for her. She married, quit a full-time job and started freelancing. For 10 years, Sonali worked with multinational financial and IT companies, until moving to Australia in 2016, which prompted many big changes.
Sonali had worked in marketing all her life and loved designing for print. But in moving to social media she found a new way of using her talents. Sonali still loves graphic design but is now a graphic designer who can audit your brand and social media presence, and support you with content marketing, offers and graphics.
Who’s your favourite entrepreneur and why?
Natasha Corbin. She has helped me learn all about business. I admire her for the way she runs her business and her group and also Dale Beaumont. He does deliver a lot of value in his one day 52 Ways workshop. He is so energetic and cute.
What do you enjoy most about running your own business?
In the beginning, I enjoyed the control I had over my time and work. Now I enjoy creating, organizing and implementing social media content plans. I enjoy that I can create the plan, develop offers and design graphics to go with them. I love looking at the bigger picture.
What three pieces of advice do you wish you’d been given when you started?
- How important it was to have a niche. And how to use this to connect with my ideal clients.
- Most often it’s our mindset that stops us from achieving success. Mindset can be changed so we can live a different story.
- That a business coach could help bring it all together but of course I had to put in the work to achieve my goals.
What advice would YOU give someone thinking about starting a business?
- Just start
- Talk to people about your business
- Don’t expect miracles
- Don’t give up
- Surround yourself with supportive family and friends
- One step at a time
What skills and knowledge areas would you recommend those starting out in business get acquainted with quickly?
- Terms & Conditions
- Marketing & Sales
What does your IDEAL business look like? Even if you’re not there yet.
- My ideal business would be me working with content marketing, graphics and 3D animations
- Surrounded by my ideal clients
- Making 50,000 AU$ a month
What problem does being a Member of the HerBusiness Network solve for you and your business? And, how?
It is a group of positive like-minded women to build connections and grow my business.