A few years ago, Amey Lee realised there was a need for content marketers in Australia – especially those that could deftly work with small- and medium-sized businesses. With her experience in communications and advertising, along with her passion and skill for writing, she decided to specialise in content marketing and founded Heart Content, which helps businesses articulate and deliver the story they want to tell their customers.
At Heart Content, Amey channels her hard work and creativity into whichever projects she chooses to work on.
“I love the excitement of wondering what today will bring and meeting that with enthusiasm. I love that it’s in my power to create whatever it is I want to create.”
3 Things Amey Wishes She’d Been Told When She Started Her Own Business
- Find a mentor and network in circles of people who are cleverer than you or further along on their business journey than you. This is how you get better.
- Choose the right business structure for you right now – unless you need to, you don’t have to become a company straight away.
- Practice being confident when talking about money, and believe in the value you can bring your customers.
Amey’s Advice for Someone Thinking About Starting a Business
“Just start! It’s so easy to make a list of excuses as to why now is not the right time. Even if you’re more conservative or need to stay in your day job for a while, it’s okay to start small and work your way up. Of course, have a plan of where you want to go, but when you know where that is, take that first step and just start!”
Starting Out in Business? Amey Recommends Mastering These Skills
- Learn quickly what your strengths and weaknesses are. Make sure your weaknesses are the first things you outsource to someone else.
- Make sure you learn to understand the important numbers in your business. If you don’t know how to read a profit and loss, balance sheet, or cash flow statement, find someone who can show you how. If you don’t know how to read Google Analytics or marketing data, find someone who can show you how. Understanding the numbers will help you make good decisions.
- Get comfortable with talking about yourself and what you do – you’ll need to do this to win customers.
Amey’s Favorite Entrepreneur
“There are plenty of entrepreneurs I admire, but my favourite would have to be Richard Branson. He published his first book around the time I started my first business and still to this day I love his approach – his swagger, his focus on the customers, his generosity of spirit and humour. He’s made such an impact in each and every industry he’s taken on and that’s been because he’s always put the customer first. He’s taken risks and made innovations that people would not have believed possible. He’s fought for the little guy. That’s the type of entrepreneur I’d like to be.”
Amey on HerBusiness
“Being a HerBusiness Premium Member is an investment I choose to make in myself. The learning, the connections and the support are all invaluable.
As a freelancer, things can get a bit lonely sometimes. Connecting with other small business owners through HerBusiness initiatives like the Mastermind sessions not only helps me work on developing my business, but allows me to make connections with other women in business.
HerBusiness keeps me inspired, learning, motivated and confident!”