In this latest herBusiness podcast, author and active speaker Mandy Johnson discusses how to attract and keep people who can make your business profitable. In her latest book, Winning The War for Talent, Mandy focuses on the dilemma today that companies face in finding and keeping the right people that will make them profitable and how businesses need to focus on the improving their recruitment and retaining processes. In a recent CEO Institute survey, it was found while what keeps CEOs awake at night is ‘sourcing and retaining skilled staff’; however, it seems these same CEOs are not prioritising recruitment and retaining processes. In the interview Mandy comments that for many small businesses, recruitment is absolutely crucial because every person counts as a representation of your brand. She says, “People are the heart, soul and balance sheet of every business.” However, businesses often make the mistake on not focusing on the recruitment process, says Mandy, and they do something that she calls ‘hope recruitment’- hiring a person who may look good on the surface only to spend wasted time in managing that individual. Businesses need to handle recruitment processes in a way that results in hiring the most suitable person for the role – someone who is the right fit for their company.
Listen to this herBusiness interview with Mandy Johnson to learn:
- To sell your business’ benefits and achievements when recruiting potential staff
- How to quickly recruit the best candidates for the job before any of your competitors have a chance to
- The importance of focusing on attitudes rather than skills during the recruitment process
- To motivate your staff by including them in the planning of projects
- How to get virtual staff to engage with one another and develop team dynamics