“Organisations must become customer focused – a culture change that combines mindset, attitude, vision, value and understanding…”
Samantha Chambers has teamed up with Kim Stokeld with a clear vision for their start-up— ‘without a customer, there is no business.’ Their start-up business, It’s About the Customer, instils a customer focused culture in businesses, ensuring a greater overall customer experience. The key is to teach businesses to listen to the customer and build a lasting relationship. The business employs a whole-of-business approach that transforms culture, businesses and people. There is a focus on staff training to identify problem areas and ultimately provide a better customer experience.
‘We want your customers to become your biggest assets and the strongest marketers of your business.’
Samantha took the leap from her safe career in the corporate world and embarked in a new entrepreneurial direction— and hasn’t looked back.
‘Suddenly it clicked and became clear that staying in the corporate world was staying safe and essentially stepping backwards.’
Three things Chambers wishes she had been told before she started in a business:
- Courage, confidence, curiosity, persistence and patience are just as important as your technical skills.
- Sometimes 80% is good enough. It is easy to focus on the final 20% in pursuit of perfection, but that time can often be better spent somewhere else.
- Spend some quality time defining or redefining your personal brand and values before starting out.
Samantha Chambers’ advice for starting a business:
- There will be lots of times where you don’t feel ready and to be blunt, you’re never going to be ready.
- There will be times of self-doubt and there is no denying it’s hard work and long hours. Sometimes you will question if you are doing the right thing, if you have the ability to make it happen and if it will happen.
- If you don’t risk anything, you risk more. Learning from the outcome is key as opposed to not learning anything at all because you didn’t take the risk.
HerBusiness provided Samantha with access to good, relevant resources and saved her a lot of time searching the Internet for the same information. HerBusiness also helped Samantha build a like-minded network and find a suitable mentor. Learn more about Samantha Chambers, This post was compiled by Poppy Johnston. Poppy completed a journalism internship at HerBusiness. She is studying Media and Communications at The University of Sydney.