‘We help business owners by taking away their employee pain points.’
Natasha Hawker, Founder and Managing Director of Employee Matters, recognises that hiring and firing employees can cause some of the biggest headaches for business owners. Employee Matters provides employee management in a way that best suits the resources and needs of each individual business. The concept behind Employee Matters came to life when Natasha identified a few key employee-related issues troubling Australian business owners. She noticed that businesses lacked the time and resources to hire staff and that firing under-performers was often a stressful experience. Natasha and her team at Employee Matters take the stress and hassle out of these procedures. ‘We leave our clients feeling empowered and relieved. When I get a hug from our clients as I and my team often do, I know that we have done our job well.’ From a few key market openings, Natasha felt confident that Employee Matters would provide a unique and valuable service. She is dedicated to helping business owners build and maintain their best possible team. ‘If you don’t hire the best you can’t achieve your full business potential and then you end up at the firing range again.’ Three things Natasha wishes she had been told before she started in a business:
- It takes longer than you expect it to build, be realistic.
- Don’t assume that every client is someone that you should continue to work with. It is okay for you to stop working with clients that are not a fit.
- Invest in your personal development.
Natasha’s advice for starting a business:
- Attend every free or cost effective business related seminar or webinar that you can.
- You need a very broad skill base to run a business but also look to outsource when it makes sense.
- Your employees are your ‘secret source’ – hire the best, motivate and retain them and exit non-performers quickly.
Natasha recommends the following skills to acquire when starting a business:
- Social media is a must.
- Building content and profile is crucial.
- Your network is everything— give to it and it will give back.
Natasha says the HerBusiness webinars and Entrepreneur’s Roundtable have been the most valuable resources she has had access to as a Premium Member. Learn more about Natasha Hawker, This post was compiled by Poppy Johnston. Poppy is currently completing a journalism internship at the HerBusiness. She is studying Media and Communications at The University of Sydney.