Every child CAN learn. They just need to be given the right tools and guidance to do so.
As an experienced primary school teacher, Karen Geloven could see that many students struggled with picking up the basics of Math and English.
She felt that the curriculum was limited and did not cater adequately for all her students. She saw many students slip through the cracks.
Looking to bridge the gap, Karen decided to look for a system-based learning model that catered for remedial students.
After 12 months of investigation, she found the right business that matched her philosophies and decided on Kip McGrath.
As the Director of Education & Training at the Kip McGrath Education Centre, Karen now leads a team of dedicated teachers to make a positive difference in the educational outcomes of students.
Over the past eight years, Karen and her team have helped more than 2000 students breakdown the barriers in their understanding of math and English.
Who’s your favourite entrepreneur and why?
It is so hard to pick just one as I think there are many that have spoken into my life and business. But I am going to say Mike Michalowicz – Profit First has made a massive difference to my business and not having to worry about where the money is coming from, it has already been allocated. I love his simple approach to business and his personality is infectious. Mike understands how tough business is and has made all the mistakes that we are making so when he speaks it is from experience NOT just theoretical information.
Why did you start your business and what gave you the idea?
As a teacher I felt disappointed by the number of students who could not keep up with the curriculum and that there were limited systems within the school to adequately cater for them. So I started the search for something to fill the gap. I had done 1:1 tutoring but felt like it made the problem worse. So I liked for a system based learning model that catered for remedial students. After 12 months of investigation, I decided on Kip McGrath. They had the right business model and philosophies that match my own.
What do you enjoy most about running your own business?
The difference that we make in the lives of families. I am a workaholic so I wouldn’t say that I have found any sort of balance that so many claim to have found with running a business, but I am not really looking for that.
I love helping people so I have a number of new initiatives that I am looking at to help children and their families and teachers :)
What three pieces of advice do you wish you’d been given when you started?
- Create the systems as if you have 100 employees right from the beginning.
- Develop your financial understanding.
- Do the aspects of the business that you love and get someone who is an expert in the areas you don’t love and outsource work to them!
What advice would YOU give someone thinking about starting a business?
- If you have a dream then follow it. It WILL be a bumpy ride but if you are driven you will find a way over every bump.
- Surround yourself with people who have already done what you want to achieve and don’t listen to those who have been too scared to take the leap of faith. Trust me there are plenty of people who will tell you that it can’t be done. Just because they couldn’t or won’t do it doesn’t mean you can’t!
What skills and knowledge areas would you recommend those starting out in business get acquainted with quickly?
- MONEY MONEY MONEY – Understand what all the important accounting terms and numbers mean.
- READ READ READ – become a lover of learning. Always want to improve your knowledge and skills. One of the best ways to do this is to read :)
What does your IDEAL business look like? Even if you’re not there yet, what would it look like if your business was ideal?
“My ideal business is one that has the systems to run itself with my staff taking front stage. This will allow me to work on other projects and to be able to advance the business for long-term success.”
What problem does being a Member of the HerBusiness Network solve for you and your business? And, how?
Being a HerBusiness member was one of the best decisions I have made. There are so many like-minded members that you can gain knowledge from and learn from their experiences. The resources available as part of the membership are varied and I can usually find something to help with whatever I am currently working on.