Jane Cay is the owner of Birdsnest, an online retail company that aims to solve women’s wardrobe dilemmas by focusing on product delivery as well as customer service. Having been established for four years now, the business aims to provide the best of both online and traditional retail with their unique showroom model.
The world of online retail is constantly changing, so Birdsnest has adapted with the realities of a growing market.
Over the past four years, Jane’s team has grown from five to eighty, and the business has moved three times to accommodate changing conditions. She’s not complaining, though, as it is ultimately in the service of bettering the business. Jane believes that a successful eCommerce website must have the same attributes as any successful business. Passionate teams working behind the scenes to constantly lift the bar on customer experience ultimately translate to a sustainable bottom line. Jane’s top five tips for small businesses looking to start selling online are:
- Be passionate about what you are delivering online – customers will feel it and respond!
- Realise that online retail is not different to offline retail – you have to solve customers’ dilemmas.
- Understand your customers’ behaviour online – study it and respond by giving them what they want.
- Surround yourself with people who have a wealth of online experience – attend conferences and read, read, read.
- Seek out the resources you need – there is so much fantastic information out there!