Ellie Lindsay was searching for a way to embrace her creative side and make it a career. When presented the opportunity, she began researching ways to reinvent fashion items.
Her initial product was designed to be a new, modern silhouette for a woman’s dressing gown; however, it took on another dimension as a coat.
So she started La Robe de Chambre, French for dressing gown, an online boutique offering versatile and sustainable luxury fashion.
Ellie’s thoughts on running her own business:
“I enjoy working 100% autonomously, making all the decisions or at least being involved in the decision making process at every stage, particularly as I’m the designer. I also enjoy collaborating with the makers and wholesalers to ensure the best result. This also gives me the opportunity to embrace the ethos of sustainable and ethical fashion as I learn more about the fashion industry. The business continues to put me on a path of learning and discovery which makes every day such a great experience.”
What Ellie Wishes She Knew When She Started
- Aspects of marketing and the complexity of starting an ecommerce business
- To be aware of understanding the needs of your ‘ideal customer’
- The need to do more research by reading stagiest books and articles prior to and while developing the business
Ellie’s Advice to Potential Business Owners
- Stay positive – surround yourself with positive people
- Stay connected – join women’s and business groups
- Read more – gain tips and advice about strategies relevant to the business/ product you’re starting
Skills Ellie Recommends for those Starting Out in Business:
- Marketing – especially social media
- Media Exposure – Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.
- Prioritise – tasks and information so you don’t get confused
Ellie’s ideal business would have her successfully connecting to customers on media platforms through the processes of the sale funnel. She hopes to ultimately make sales on a regular basis and continue to produce small consignments.
A problem that being a HerBusiness Network Member has solved for Ellie:
“HerBusiness Network offers me the support and access to a variety of learning tools. I can be selective which doesn’t make me overwhelmed by getting too much information, but instead I can access it when I’m ready to implement it. The network allows me access to other businesswomen through the round tables and other forums so that I can hear about other strategies and offer support.”
Ellie’s favourite entrepreneur is Nyree Corby, the CEO and Founder of Fame and Partners. The company focuses on customisable, made-to-order fashion. She admires Nyree for developing a driving force brand in sustainable fashion, while maintaining a large number of consumers.
This post was authored by Hannah Stanley. Hannah is completing a journalism internship at HerBusiness. She studies journalism and electronic media at the University of Tennessee in the United States.