I’ve been a bit slow to come to the podcasting party, but now I’ve dipped my toe in and found some podcasts I love I’m a convert.One of the reasons I love podcasts so much is that I can listen to smart, funny and intelligent people discussing topics that appeal to me, when I want to. No more making sure I’m around at a set time on a set day each week; I subscribe to a number of favourites and when the mood strikes I turn a podcast on and wait for the inspirational words to wash over me.
The podcasts I love the most usually have more than one voice, i.e. two people presenting, or one presenter interviewing an expert; plus bite-sized chunks of information spread throughout the program. I like the variety of the different voices and changing topics.
My top 5 podcast list (besides HerBusiness podcasts, of course!) includes a mix of writing, journalism, reading, some life skills and a bit of fun, which I think is a great mix for my mind. I love that I can combine building my knowledge on a topic and listening to something I enjoy while also doing something else like cooking, driving or walking. The portability of podcasts means I can be hands-free while listening so I can tune in anywhere and any time.
Here’s my top 5:
- So You Want To Be A Writer with Valerie Khoo and Allison Tait – I know both Val and Al (they are often referred in this way by listeners) and love their banter and vast experience. Plus, they interview great authors.
- This American Life’s Serial – It was this program that piqued my interest in podcasts and I binge listened over a week.
- Meet the Writers and The Stack – both great podcasts from Monocle revealing the publishing industry’s tricks of the trade and sharing great insights from authors and publishers alike.
- Straight and Curly with Kelly Exeter and Carly Jacobs – a series of 30-minute podcasts testing out and discussing a different life hack each week.
- Media and Politics from the Shorenstein Center – a look at where media and politics meet on an international level.
Do you listen to podcasts? If yes, which are your favourites and when do you listen to them?