Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I also believe in karma, which has kept me going the past 7 years in business, especially when things haven’t gone exactly to plan. If I had to do it all again, would I? – definitely YES. Would I do it the same? – MOSTLY. Looking back, these are the things that I would try and do from the beginning:
- Back myself from the outset, trust my judgement, trust my instincts and know that I really am good at what I do.
- Recognise when I need help and ask for it, and recognise when I haven’t got the skill set and get it in.
- Surround myself with like-minded people who share common interests and goals, talk to them and build trust in them.
- Find someone to keep me accountable. It might be an accountant, a mentor, a coach, just someone who can help guide me.
- Believe that people really want me to do well.
- Have faith that there is enough work for everyone and to find my ‘piece’ and go for it.
- Be unashamed of my confidence; don’t make excuses and sorry’s but make statements like “yes we will do an amazing job”, knowing that we will.
- Collaborate with clever people to add more to who I am and what I can offer.
- Keep business plans to one page.
- Back up my systems ALL THE TIME…yes, I lost data twice!
- Don’t accept mediocre from staff, suppliers and people who work with me. I would never deliver mediocre myself.
- If it’s broken, fix it QUICKLY.
- If it keeps you up at night, DEAL WITH IT… actually anything that stops you sleeping, deal with it.
- Don’t be too nice; people will take you for granted. A good balance is the aim. There is a fine line but it can be done.
- Remember to take time out. Work CAN wait… health and family can’t.
Knowing these things has allowed me to step up and take my business to the next level over the past 12 months and this knowledge will also ensure that I continue to deliver for my clients and — equally importantly — for me. Roll on 2015, I have my big girl boots on and I am EXCITED!