Louise Lucas turned her love for finance and teaching into a business.
Having been the beneficiary of investing through hard won experience, she started her own business, The Property Education Company in 2015.
She now offers quality education and support as part of her mortgage broking at no extra cost to her clients.
What Louise enjoys most about running her business:
“I love developing marketing ideas and communicating existing clients success and sharing that so new people can learn the best way to go about buying property.”
What Louise Wish She Knew When She Started:
- Know your numbers – watch out for unknown costs sneaking in
- Get professional support – “Suzi has taught me so much around customer selection.”
- Do not borrow – make sure you are making a profit before you proceed to get into debt on a business
Louise’s Advise to Potential Business Owners
- Go and learn from someone already doing what you want to do and see how they make it work
- Look at the numbers to see how well the business is doing
- Employers are often the last person paid and there is not much left for them
Skills Louise Recommends for those Starting Out in Business:
- Know basic bookkeeping – know what money is needed to keep the business alive
- Watch relevant TED talks – learn best case solutions for your business
- Learn to make a profit – the business must pay to give your work meaning
Louise’s ideal business would have extra brokers on board making deals and using her company as an expert lead generation and education centre for clients.
A problem that being a HerBusiness Network member has solved for Louise:
“I love what Suzi offers in terms of sharing her own story and learnings along the way and this way, I can understand how to move forward with a more strategic focus. She taught me how to clearly focus on which customers I want and then to give them what they want, not necessarily what I want to give them – so that helped too.”
Louise’s favourite entrepreneur is Arianna Huffington. She loves the way Arianna promotes the value of sleep, which Louise claims she always needed but would shield away from.
This post was authored by Hannah Stanley. Hannah is completing a journalism internship at HerBusiness. She studies journalism and electronic media at the University of Tennessee in the United States.