Helena Ung’s inspiration to start her own business began years ago when she put her two young daughters into a program that specialised in teaching focus, memory, and concentration skills. After her kids had completed the program, she realised her passion for teaching and making the world a better place for kids.
Her passion led her to bring Innovate Mental Arithmetic, a franchise, from Malaysia to Australia. The program puts emphasis on teaching what is referred to as foundation skills to kids between the ages of three and ten.
What Helena Wishes She Knew When She Started
- Reach out for help – there will always be areas you struggle in. Do yourself a favour and get help in these areas.
- Do your research beforehand – make sure you have an idea of what you’re doing before starting a business. Having a dream is great, but do your research too.
- Stay focused – it’s easy to get overwhelmed in many aspects. It’s hard to know what to do first.
Helena’s Three Tips for Other Members to Help Their Business
- Be your authentic self – this is a great approach to attracting clients. Part of the reason people will do business with you is if they like you and your personality
- Take time to press pause – give yourself time to step back from the business so you can recharge
- Reflect on your goals – make time to re-evaluate your goals often so you can see the progress you have made and the progress you still want to make
What Helena Has to Say About Running Her Business:
“I enjoy seeing children and students excel, become confident, and of course seeing the happy parents after seeing results.”
Helena’s goal is for Innovate Mental Arithmetic to expand in Australia, therefore helping more students develop fundamental learning skills – this is her definition of an ideal business.
Learn more about Innovate Mental Arithmetic Australia here.
This post was authored by Allison Mullin. Allison is completing a journalism internship with HerBusiness. She studies editing, writing, and media at Florida State University in the United States.