Images have a powerful pull on humans, and this is something you can use in your favour.
I’ve been working as a journalist for 20 years now, 10 of those as a freelancer, and people I interview still seem surprised when I ask if they can send me a photo to publish with the story. Many people prefer not to be photographed (I come under that category) and try to get out of it, but the reason all the stories we read in newspapers, magazines, websites and brochures or watch on TV and social media is because the visual element helps us connect to the words.
I’m a writer, so of course I’m all about the words, but when I know something will enhance those words, and even make it more likely that others will read my words, then I’m going to add that extra element. And you should too.
Don’t just take my word for it. Here are some studies that show why we respond to images (both still and video) so positively and, therefore, why you should include visual content in your marketing.
- Articles with images get 94 per cent more views than those that are text only, according to Jeff Bullas.
- We remember pictures more than words: Research shows if you hear or read something you have a one in ten chance of remembering it in three days, however the same information with a picture added means you have a 65 per cent chance of retention.
- Humans are visual beings: We process visual information 60,000 times faster than text; in fact 90 per cent of the information we absorb is visual, with the other four senses processing the remaining 10 per cent.
- Colour grabs our attention: Xerox research found adding colour makes people 80 per cent more likely to read a document
- Visual content is 40 times more likely to be shared on social media.
Next time you have something amazing to share with your audience, think about how much more traction you’ll get if you add a visual element too.