“Plan done, 3 power words selected, now which 3 character strengths will you engage to shift the big rocks and make it all happen in 2017?”
It is time to start putting those 2017 plans to action. Have you chosen your 3 words to keep front of mind to guide you to success in 2017? While you’re at it, it’s also worth considering how you will put your strengths to work. Which 3 of your signature character strengths will you engage to keep you on track as you shift those boulders and pave your way to success?
The 3 Words
While in planning mode for a successful 2017 business year, pick the 3 words that define what you want to focus on to achieve your version of success. For inspiration, check out these posts:
Research shows there is a strong connection between well-being and the use of signature strengths. Tapping into our strengths helps us make progress on our goals and meet our basic needs for independence, relationship, and competence. (Linley, Nielsen, Gillett & Biswas-Diener, 2010. Effects on goal progress, need satisfaction, and well-being, and implications for coaching psychologists. International Coaching Psychology Review, 5 (1), 6-15)
Here’s a great article by Michelle McQuaid on putting your character strengths to work: 24 Ways to Put Your Strengths to Work
Daily Strengths Habits Strategy
A daily strengths habits strategy can support you to shift those boulders and big rocks in 2017. It is easy to design a quick and simple routine which keeps your 3 words front and centre and engages your chosen 3 signature character strengths, creating a daily strengths habit so you can rock your 2017 business goals.
Building on from Michelle McQuaid’s Cue-Routine-Reward model for creating daily strengths habits, I have added my 3 words for 2017. Here is an example of how this might work:
My 3 Words:
- PLAN – my word to help me concentrate on the importance of developing and sticking to well-thought out strategic plans to ensure I don’t lose focus on the core must-have’s in my business and life
- DO – A reminder to action, implement, be bold and brave, achieve closure, don’t procrastinate, don’t try to get it perfect, just do it.
- THRIVE – A reminder that sticking to the plan, focusing on achieving the set goals and objectives, will help me to meet my goals and maintain the balance and alignment required for true success and overall well-being
My 3 Character Strengths to engage:
- Prudence – making careful observations and well-thought out choices consistently to ensure I get the most impact from my limited time to shift the biggest boulders and clear the path to achieving my 2017 goals
- Self-regulation – Self-consciously regulating what I feel and what I do. Being a disciplined person, in control of my appetites and emotions, not vice versa
- Gratitude – Being aware of the good things that happen to me, and never taking them for granted; taking the time to express my thanks
This is what it would look like laid out in an easy-to-follow table:
|My 3 Words for 2017||My Character Strengths to engage||My Cue||My Routine||My Reward|
|PLAN||PRUDENCE – planning ahead||Every morning as I power up my computer||I will spend 10 minutes thinking about the big rocks to move and my intentions for the day.||My reward for doing this will be my morning cup of tea.|
|DO||SELF-REGULATION – starting on the big rocks early||First thing in my working day||As I prioritise my daily tasks, I will first do the big impact things I dread and feel like putting off.||I will reward myself for completing these with a break and a quick stroll outdoors.|
|THRIVE||GRATITUDE – celebrating what’s working well||Before I go to sleep||I will do my 10 minute daily gratitude journaling, noting 3 things that went well in the last 24 hours and what made this possible as well as how I could have done things better.||My reward is falling asleep on a positive note.|
My aim for 2017 will be to not overcomplicate things, but rather to create systems and strategies that are easy to implement and follow. This is one way of simplifying things by creating daily habits to support my goals. Your 3 words and signature strengths may be completely different, but the process is the same and easy to implement. What strategies will you use and what will you do to systemise your business journey to success in 2017?