According to research from the Baymard Institute, the average online shopping cart abandonment rate is 68.63% to be exact.
And that’s across a variety of industries.
So what that means for our listeners is that roughly 2 out of every 3 of those potential buyers you’ve put all that time, money and energy into getting all the way through to your shopping cart or order form are bailing out at that final hurdle… right at that vital moment before they pay you.
But before you begin to feel a little deflated by those figures… the good news is there ARE some pretty simple and cost-effective things you can be doing to firstly – reduce the number of people abandoning your shopping cart and secondly – to get them back if they do.
In today’s episode, hosts Suzi Dafnis and Michelle Falzon help you deal with your cart abandonment issues. That is, how to reduce the number of people leaving your shopping cart or order form right at the point of purchase, and if they do leave, how to get them back again, using some smart content strategies.
Plus, included in this episode is a bonus download – Cart Abandonment Idea Generator which includes more than a dozen examples of clever cart abandonment content, including email examples, retargeting ads and more…
Listen to this episode to hear more about:
- Why the people abandoning your shopping cart could be your BEST customers
- The top 3 reasons why people abandon your cart
- What you can do BEFORE someone abandons your cart to keep them moving forward with you
- The single-most important thing you need to do within 60 minutes of someone abandoning your shopping cart
- How to optimise your shopping cart for maximum conversion (and minimum abandonment!)
- How to reduce “Purchase Anxiety”
- Why 17% of shoppers don’t purchase due to security concerns – and what you can do to overcome those concerns
- Why your payment options are causing people to abandon your cart left, right and centre!
- Michelle’s 3-part cart abandonment email sequence
- The secret big companies like Amazon and Urban Outfitters use to get people back to their shopping carts (and how you can do it too)
- How you can get people to spend EVEN MORE when they come back to you after abandoning their cart, than they would have in the first place!
- The ideal time to send your post-abandonment emails for optimum conversions
- How to avoid sounding pushy and hit the right tone with your post cart abandonment emails
- The Bath and Body Works example that Michelle and Suzi thought was funny (and effective)
- How and when to use incentives to get people back to your cart
- What particular type of social proof you need to use and when
- Why you want to consider supplementing your cart abandonment emails with paid retargeted ads
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Baymard – 10 Reasons For Abandonments During Checkout
- For more information and ideas on conversion strategies that will help minimise the number of people falling out of your shopping cart, we’ve listed some other relevant Content Sells episodes for you in the show notes for today’s show.
- Episode 5 – Getting Customers to The Top of Your Mountain
- Episode 11 – The Step 2 Secret
- Episode 16 – What You Need To Know Before Driving Traffic To Your Offers
- Episode 22 – How to use Guarantees and Risk Reversal To Get More Sales
- Episode 23 – How to Craft an Offer That Sells
- Episode 41 – How to Use Micro-commitments to Create Compelling Content
- Facebook Pixel Implementation Guide
- Google Adwords remarketing instructions