In his famous play, Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare famously asked “What’s in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet.” But in this episode, your hosts Suzi Dafnis and Michelle Falzon share why choosing the right name – whether it’s for your business or your lead magnet, your course or your new seven- step process – is so important. Get this wrong and you could be sabotaging your success before you even get started, but get your naming right and you could be fast-tracking your results.
Now, as more and more business owners need to be creating content, designing models, hosting webinars, writing books to establish their authority, you’re likely needing to come up with compelling names more often.
What makes a good name? What do you need to get right before you even start thinking about a name? And how can you protect that name from competitors?
We’ll cover these topics and more in this new episode of Content Sells.
Plus, included in this episode is a free download – How to Name Things Checklist – which gives you a handy quick reference guide to use next time you need to come up with a compelling name for something.
Listen to this episode to hear more about:
- Why the same rules apply whether you’re naming a business, a building or a book!
- The 4 must-dos BEFORE you even start thinking about specific names
- One of the most interesting things Suzi has ever had to name and how she did it
- How to get your ideal clients actually coming up with the perfect name for your next project, offer or business
- How to use information you may already have in your business to help you pick the perfect name
- How to know when something actually needs a name and why many people overlook opportunities to name call to actions (and why that’s costing you sales)
- The perils of “overnaming” and how to know if you’re going overboard
- How to ensure your name has longevity
- The oversight one well-known brand made that was “too hard” to change and has made life more difficult than it needed to be for years
- How to handle a name change
- How to create a name that you can really “own” in your space – and not be like everyone else
- What you can learn from Robert Kiyosaki’s Rich Dad brand name
- Two naming mistakes Michelle made early in her career that she learned from BIG time (and that could save you making the same embarrassing mistake)
- The one thing Michelle does as soon as she’s come up with what she thinks is a “winner” name and why doing this will save you a lot of heartache and expense
- How to have a BIG idea and create a compelling hook with your name
- What fishing can teach you about creating an effective name for your next offer, promotion, lead magnet or product
- How two brothers cracked the code on creating “sticky ideas” that capture people’s imagination and get remembered
- What the naming of a plastic stool can teach us all about the power of an awesome name
- How to use rhyming and alliteration for maximum effect when naming things
- What the heck is a “portmanteau”? And why it could be your next million dollar name idea!
- What Amazon and Apple did with their business names that we could all learn from
- The ideal number of words when naming things
- How to protect your name
Also mentioned in this episode:
- How to Name Things Checklist
- Episode 2 – Your Ideal Client
- Strathfield Car Radio
- Rich Dad
- Made to Stick by Dan and Chip Heath
- Squatty Potty
- Millionaire Mind Intensive
- Thinking School
- The Big Property Shift
- Name Check tool
- Portmanteau Generators werdmerge.com and namemesh.com