Lorna Jane Clarkson
Hall of Fame Alumni
Lorna Jane Activewear
An icon of Australian fashion design and renowned for her ‘Move, Nourish, Believe’ philosophy, Lorna Jane Clarkson is the Founder and Chief Creative Officer of multi-award-winning active-wear label, Lorna Jane.
Her creativity and passion for design sparked at an early age when the then fashion rookie found herself making bikinis for her friends. However, it wasn’t until she began making leotards whilst working full-time as a dental therapist that it really took off. Frustrated with the limited range of fashionable exercise clothing available on the market, she quickly substituted her hygiene mask for a needle and thread, and began designing.
Lorna is celebrated for her entrepreneurial skills and has revolutionised the active-wear category. For more than 20 years, Lorna has fused fashion with traditional fitness garments and is inspiring women to follow her new way of life: active living.
Today, Lorna Jane represents more than active-wear; it is a way of life. Many lovers of the brand have long applauded her unique ability to offer the wearer a sense of energy and vitality. Simply put, Lorna designs clothing that makes people look good, but more importantly feel great.
“Our vision extends beyond the product; we don’t sell active-wear, we sell energy. Our garments aim to encourage women to live an active life and achieve their best through active living.
When people wear Lorna Jane, they are saying they want to make a difference and live a healthier lifestyle.”
Having established a reputation for creativity, honesty and integrity in the fashion industry, Lorna’s natural skill in pre-empting women’s need and translating this into garments is remarkable. Highlights of Lorna’s career include winning numerous RAQ Fashion Design Awards, opening over 130 Lorna Jane concept stores Australia wide, receiving the 2011 AMP Capital and BRW Award for Australia’s Outstanding Retailer of the Year, publishing her first book, ‘Move, Nourish, Believe: The Fit Woman’s Secret Revealed’, and opening her first U.S. store in March 2012.
Lorna is at the helm of business and has a zest for life attitude, infectious energy and determined spirit packed firmly in her workout bag. One learning lesson that has supported her is remaining true to her personal beliefs and having the ability to not sacrifice her authenticity to get ahead in life. With this lesson, women have continued to be inspired and motivated by Lorna Jane, a brand that ignites the nation’s enthusiasm to live a more active lifestyle.
Strategies for Success
- Live an authentic life. Find your purpose in life, be driven by your heart and follow your dreams.
- You can achieve anything with a plan. Plan for success every day, with clear strategies in place so if you do run into challenging circumstances, you will be able to overcome them.
- Be determined to be better. Continue to set your goals higher, and do not settle for mediocrity in your career or your life.
- Commit yourself to the finish line. Believe that anything is possible, working backwards from your dream by setting more realistic goals along the way to celebrate.
- Accept setbacks. Practice positivity and appreciate obstacles as an opportunity to learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward to bigger and better things.