Depending on which study you read, the average person gets between 100 and 250 emails per day. And it’s likely that just about everyone you talk to is suffering from some kind of email overload.
What that can lead to is “email fatigue”, where you start to see dwindling open rates, soaring unsubscribe rates and less people clicking through to your offer.
But there is one thing you can and really do need to be doing to turn those results around.
And that’s segmentation.
Segmentation is simply dividing your list into clear, definable segments based on certain criteria.
When you segment your list, you can create content tailored specifically for each distinct group so it feels more personalised – and relevant.
In this episode of the Content Sells Podcast, your hosts Suzi Dafnis and Michelle Falzon look at 9 different ways you could be segmenting your list, giving real-life examples, tips and advice on how to implement segmentation into your content marketing.
Plus, included in this episode is a free download- 9 Ways To Segment Your List Cheat Sheet. Get this download for an easy to reference summary of all 9 segmentation criteria discussed in this episode.
Listen to this episode to hear more about:
- The one marketing strategy you can do that is 40 times more likely to get you a customer
- Why people aren’t opening your emails, and what you can do about it
- The fastest way to become irrelevant to your community (and how to avoid it)
- What you can learn from a Chess coach about segmenting your audience
- How many businesses are getting 39% better open rates making this one change
- How Jupiter Research found segmentation drives 18 times more revenue
- Why there’s no “one size fits all” answer to segmentation
- What demographics are really worth tracking when segmenting your list?
- How to find more of your ideal clients using Client Avatars / Buyer Personas in your segmentation
- What you need to think about when segmenting your B2B list
- The importance of understanding the 5-stage Buyer Journey when deciding on your segmentation strategy
- How to use segmentation to increase the number of repeat customers you are getting
- Why segmentation = more word of mouth marketing for your business
- An introduction to “Lead Scoring” and how it works
- The 5 email statistics you need to track to gauge whether your segmentation approach is working
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Ryan Levesque’s Ask Method
- McKinsey & Co iConsumer Survey
- Content Sells Podcast Episode 2 – Your Ideal Client
- Content Sells Podcast Episode 8 – How to Create a New Client Nurture Email Campaign