2017 Hall of Fame Inductee
About Me - My Biography
Grace Chu is passionate about taking performance-based marketing to new levels. She has been in the marketing consulting industry for over 20 years and has worked with digital marketing, offline marketing and management consulting.
In 2005, in the early days of the internet, Grace realised that so many enterprise brands desperately needed help with their internet marketing. She saw a huge gap in the market and decided to take the leap. She quit her job and started FirstClick (which would go on to be part of Performics) in the spare room of her house. Within 10 years, her business had grown to employing 40 people across Sydney and Melbourne and had fantastic client relationship with companies like ANZ, Toyota and more. FirstClick joined forces with Performics, a Publicis Media company, in 2015.
Performics is now a global marketing network with more than 220 clients, 2200 experts and offices in 57 countries around the world. The company buys media, creates content and optimises brand experiences across channels to generate direct, measurable revenue for leading brands.
Before setting up FirstClick, Grace was employed in senior roles at eBay Australia, where she led internet marketing and focused on acquisition, activation and retention of buyers and sellers. Before that, she was a management consultant with McKinsey & Company, where she worked with multinational clients to develop and implement strategies for sales, marketing and operational improvement.
Strategies for Success
- Ongoing commitment to delivering amazing business results to clients. From Day 1, we have delivered clear, measurable results which have impacted our clients’ bottom line. This has resulted in strong referrals by clients and driven our success.
- Having an amazing team around me. Ensuring we have the strongest talent in the industry is essential.
- I ask, “What’s the so-what?” in all that I do. This phrase has somewhat become my middle name here in the office! If you don’t have a clear answer to this question, you can never be sure what the effort or outcome will achieve.
- Clear strategy shared with the broader team. It’s important that everyone feels involved in our success.
- Must be commercial/revenue focused. This is important not only for your own business; but if you’re a client-facing business like Performics is, you must remain revenue-focused for clients. We apply a revenue-focused KPI to all client accounts and promise a minimum of 30% and up to 350% uplift in return on investment.