- Diabetes Specialist Nurse
Health & Wellbeing
My Connection Statement
We help people with type 2 diabetes move from confusion to confidence, to self-manage their condition and stay healthy. We do this through our book, and Online Diabetes Centre (coming soon), which will include online courses, membership and consults.
About Me - My Biography
Hi. I’m an RN and Credentialed Diabetes Educator (CDE), working in Diabetes Education for over 25 years. I’m passionate about making diabetes easy to understand and manage. Over the years I’ve set up a hospital diabetes service, educated nurses through conferences, and onsite in aged care facilities and developed resources to simplify learning.
Due to the increasing number of people developing type 2 diabetes, most commonly now in their 40’s and 50’s, and the lack of education and resources available to many of them, I’ve seen too often the human cost of people with uncontrolled diabetes developing preventable complications.
In May 2019 I met my business partner, Dietitian-CDE Helen Jackson, who had a very similar vision to me. Resources we’d already developed individually complemented each other perfectly. So Driving Diabetes was conceived :)
January 2020, after 15 years in private practice, I stopped seeing clients to focus completely on Driving Diabetes and reaching as many people with type 2 diabetes as possible through online education and resources. I help them to become the drivers of their condition, not passengers, and live the quality of life they’ve worked for and deserve.
After developing resources and online support for people with type 2 diabetes, we’ll design diabetes education for aged care facility nurses who aren’t generally given this training by their workplaces. We’ll also design visual resources to keep information and procedures simple and quick to understand.
So much need, but with the right strategies and creativity, we’ll make it happen… watch this space! :)
I’m a Registered Nurse and Credentialed Diabetes Educator (CDE) with over 25 years experience in the field of diabetes education. My expertise is in keeping diabetes simple to understand. I do this by using plenty of visuals and practical examples, so people are able to self-manage their diabetes confidently to live long and live well.
I provide through my company DiabEd Health Solutions, trading as Freedom Diabetes:
- 1:1 consults with adults who have type 2 diabetes, prediabetes, gestational diabetes or type 1 diabetes.
- Reviews for residents in Aged Care.
- Education for nurses working in Aged Care (very passionate about this), onsite or central venue.
- 2 day ‘Diabetes Management for Nurses’ conferences. I’m contracted to deliver these for Ausmed (nursing education company) seven times per year, plus chairing other conferences for them and providing individual sessions for these and other conferences they hold. (Sadly none of these since April 2020 due to Covid).
Through Driving Diabetes (company co-founded with dietitian, Helen Jackson, May 2019), we provide:
- Our book Get Smart with Type 2 Diabetes. Available online: paperback $29.95, eBook $19.95, package of both $24.95 (free postage within Australia).
- Our book Get Smart with Type 2 Diabetes available to the general public through libraries; currently available for purchase by Australian and NZ libraries. Currently Brisbane has 5, Gold Coast has 5, and Logan has 3. These are generally out or have been requested (which is great to see). Just (Oct 2021) sent our first book to a NZ library.
- Private Facebook group for those who have purchased or who have access to our book, called Get Smart with T2D. Currently 41 members – mix of those with T2D and health professionals.
- Driving Diabetes Facebook page open to anyone.
Oct 2021 – New website currently being built to facilitate courses, membership, consults and shopping page.
I’m passionate about feeling free, which includes working for myself – it gives me so much flexibility and joy. I’ve always been fascinated with business. Now I’m determined to apply what I’m learning to create the future I want for myself and my son.
I’m passionate about new things and change – although challenging with an ASD son at times. I’m a risk taker and always coming up with new and unique ways of seeing and doing things. I’m also the eternal optimist, and the eternal child (must be the ADHD).
I love reading. Almost anything – personal development, business, non-fiction, escape fiction that moves through generations. I love new information. One friend called me a bower bird bc everywhere I went with her I picked up a brochure or magazine etc.
I enjoy gardening, but not very good at it. Love the exercise of lawn-mowing, yoga, Pilates, pole and getting out into the bush.
I’d love to try acting lessons, painting and dancing. Have tried singing lessons – very therapeutic and tap dancing (must go back to this).
I’m fascinated by people, what makes them tick etc. We all have an amazing story within us – I must get started on mine to leave for my son should anything happen to me. I’ve had a great, crazy, challenging, beautiful life – nothing I would change.
How I Can Help Other Members
- Anyone who has questions regarding diabetes or needs resources, happy to talk with them free of charge :)
- Available as a guest on members podcast
- Happy to help other members with honest feedback on questions they have.
Why I Became a HerBusiness Member
Initially I was really impressed by the HerBusiness podcasts and how down to earth Suzi was, which is how I first heard about HerBusiness.
Then I signed up for the Grow Your Network, Get New Clients Workshop which was great! From there I signed up for the membership which has been GOLD!!!
I love the support of the other women (and a couple of guys) who are so incredibly generous with their support and information. So much to learn, and there are always replies to my random learners questions on various topics. Loved the feeling that these people ‘got me’ and I knew I’d found my tribe! Yep, I’m a lifer!
Oct 2021 – Currently doing the Mastermind Experience and absolutely loving it!! Now have a one page strategic plan so I can focus on what will move our business forward without getting distracted by all the shiny things (they’re everywhere!!). Suzi and Michelle are the best mentors ever in this, as are the other women who are involved this month.
My Member to Member Offer(s)
- 20% discount on our paperback book and eBook online with code herbus2021 at the checkout. https://drivingdiabetes.com.au