Chrissy Amphlett, the legendary lead singer of the Australian ’80s rock band The Divinyls, famously sang, “It’s a fine, fine line between pleasure and pain.”
And with your marketing content, this is SO true… Both of these emotional states can influence people in a big way to take action, click your link and buy your thing. BUT way too many people are creating content that is bland and lacking of emotion.
In today’s episode, hosts Suzi Dafnis and Michelle Falzon talk about how and when you can use the emotions of pleasure and pain to make your content marketing more compelling to build a stronger relationship with your community (and importantly, get more sales).
Plus, included in this episode is a bonus download – The Pleasure and Pain Content Template which you can use to get more of these influential emotions into YOUR content.
Listen to this episode to hear more about:
- The neuroscience behind why people buy
- How to use pleasure and pain to create more emotional connection with your audience and prospects (and why that matters)
- Why you need to help people justify their purchases with logic… but only AFTER they’ve already made their decision to buy!
- The two reasons for almost all buying decisions
- Why the old saying “Features Tell, Benefits Sell” still applies… AND why you need to go even further than simply explaining benefits.
- Why your own product knowledge could be costing you sales
- The benefits of feeling uncomfortable
- Why YOU are not the hero of your story (and who is)
- How an analogy of two islands could revolutionize the emotional connection you have with your customers
- How to identify the pain your customers are experiencing (and why simply showing you understand is one of the most powerful things you can do in your content).
- How much time do you spend talking about the pain vs the pleasure?
- How to find the transformation in your content (and why it’s essential you make that real for your customers)
- How to avoid entering “misery guts” territory
- The fashion stylist example that shows you how to get to the real issues your audience is experiencing
- The Speak / Show / Help framework you need to know to create more emotive content
Also mentioned in this episode:
- The Divinyls – Pleasure and Pain
- Donald Miller, StoryBrand
- Vrinda Normand of www.irresistiblemarketing.com