“Starting my own business has allowed me to gain clarity, and know the difference between what is my life and what is my business… I have come out of the fog after a very long time.”
Debbie Tonkin of Exact Bookkeeping Solutions started her journey around 30 years ago as the oldest office trainee after completing her 3-week bookkeeping course. She has worked across many different industries, including travel, mining, manufacturing, wholesale, and education. Debbie found that throughout these industries, they all lacked processes and training. With her experience, Debbie started her bookkeeping business to help small to medium business owners identify, streamline, and implement bookkeeping systems and processes that allow key staff members to focus on what they do best.
Debbie made the decision to start her own business so she could be at home with her disabled daughter and still provide financial security for her family. She has since gained clarity and has learned to identify the difference between her life and her business. She now has the freedom to get to know herself, make changes in her family relationships, and enjoy life!
Ideally, Debbie would like to see her small business grow to employ 1-5 staff members who work as a team and have the same ethics and values to ensure that clients get the service they deserve. As a HerBusiness Network member, Debbie has met wonderful women who have provided her with lots of advice and knowledge. Debbie is now learning to “connect positively within the group, remain calm, focused and take action.”
Who’s your favourite entrepreneur and why?
Mel Power. Mel’s program inspired me to make a life-changing decision to commence my own business. Mel is hands-on throughout her training course and truly reinforces values in yourself and your business.
What do you enjoy most about running your own business?
- Starting my own business has allowed me to gain clarity and know the difference between my life and my business.
- I now have the freedom to participate in and understand the complexities of my own self.
- I have made significant changes in my family relationships and enjoy life; I have come out of the fog after a very long time.
What three pieces of advice do you wish you’d been given when you started?
- Be true to yourself, don’t sweat the little stuff, enjoy the journey.
- How to engage and belong to the right peer groups that share your values and passion.
- To forget the noise, to focus and concentrate on my goals, not the goals of others.
What advice would YOU give someone thinking about starting a business?
- Know your goals and what your business is all about
- Make a plan and take action
- Don’t procrastinate
- Know that it is not going to be easy, but the result is totally worth the time and effort.
- Align yourself with the right people and truly learn from their experience
What skills and knowledge areas would you recommend those starting out in business get acquainted with quickly?
- Online Connection – Zoom
- Online Marketing
- Social Media
- How to promote or sell yourself
And, You know your field or product, outsource tasks that are firstly time-consuming and outside your expertise. I am not saying don’t learn these parts of your business, but these tasks can be learnt later.
What does your IDEAL business look like? Even if you’re not there yet.
My business, all though small, would employee staff (1-5), work as a team, have the same ethics and values to ensure our clients get the service they deserve at a fair price.
I want to generate $30,000-$50,000 in income each month consistently.
Maintain close relationships with all clientele, and deliver a sound, proven service.
What problem does being a Member of the HerBusiness Network solve for you and your business? And, how?
Her Business network solves the consolidation problem for myself and my business. I have met so many wonderful women business owners in the past four weeks, that inspire and freely give advice, helping fill the gaps in my knowledge.
I am learning to connect positively within the group, remain calm, focused and take action.
The knowledge that I have already gained is invaluable.
Learn more about Debbie Tonkin.